Monday, September 21, 2009

How to Make Kaya's Dress

How I made the Kaya dresses for the American Girl’s class.
I found faux brown velvet that was 39” wide. Used 1 yard of fabric for each dress.
Took me about an hour for each dress after the first one. I made me one but I used 1 ½ yards of fabric. I made matching belts to just tie on. So the dress hangs on very loose without the belt, kinda one size fits all.
Step One: Cut 1 yard of fabric. Cut on the fold.
Step Two: Marked the cut/sew lines in chalk. See photo.
At top, measured fabric in half and 6” down for the neck whole (A).
From A mark measured 5” to both sides for neck width (B).
Optional: I made a zigzag stick v shape in front of dress for decoration….matched the dress, did not want it to look to fakey. I measured 6” in from out side edges (D) and 12” down from middle (C). The connected the marks into a V.
Mark 12” down on both sides (E) and 6” in to form the arm holes (F).
Mark 6” up from bottom (G) and connect this with the arm hole mark, to make side seams.
Step Three: Cut out neck hole and up the sides.

Step Four: Optional zigzag stitch on front of dress to form a V.
Step Five: Pin right sides together. Sew up the shoulder seams. Fold the back side of the neck to form a clean edge/hem.
Sew up the sides. I started about 1” on the arm and then went around and down the sides of the dress. Stopping at the 6”mark at the bottom.
Step Six: Turn inside out, I snipped at the arm pit area as close as I can.
Step Seven: Sew a zig zag stitch on the arm to close it off…I came down at an angle (from A to B).
Step Eight: Cut off extra length of sleeves and cut fringe.
The girls added beads and shells to the fringe.

No comments:

Post a Comment